Sunday, September 04, 2005

A series of blue knitted projects

The latest knitting frenzy was a pseudo-stashbusting attempt. I had this huge, meatloaf-for-six sized thing of RH acrylic in windsor blue and it needed to be used up ASAP. So, I sit here today with three finished projects... and a good bit of blue yarn left.

First, the wristwarmers.

wristwarmers: part of the blue series I like these a lot. After the previous attempt at glovey things, I needed something that wasn't all loose and baggy. A similar approach but a 2x2 rib and casting on 32 sts (I think) instead of 40 basically did the trick, although my dad complains that he can't wear them! I smell a birthday present.

They're a little scratchy though; that's what I get for only having access to Walmart as a yarn store. I Woolited them in cold water for a bit as a softening experiment, and it went pretty well. The color did fade a bit.

Next? A coin pouch.

coin pouch: part of the blue series I'd meant for this to be a squarish thing, but I fudged the stitches and bit and here you have it. The pouch itself is pretty sturdy, but I'm just worried about the drawstring. A 2 st i-cord became my backup for having a zippered opening. Sure, it works, but not without a lot of tugging and maneuvering. All right for a first try, though.



The pièce de résistance, however, is Mr. Dangly.

Mr. Dangly: part of the blue series


The all-powerful Craftster forums is home to this excellent post and pattern for making a cute monkey a bit on the special side. Not having any brown yarn whatsoever, mine just turned out to be Penn State proud. Maybe. But he sits up on his own! And that is definitely something to be proud of.

More pictures:

wristwarmers: part of the blue series coin pouch: part of the blue series Mr. Dangly: part of the blue series Mr. Dangly: part of the blue series

tags: knitting, crafts, diy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer Grucza said...

Hi - nice blog, found your site through the Technorati "classical music" tag (http://www.technorati.com/tag/classical%20music). What instrument do you play?

I like the wrist warmers - I might try making some myself - the office gets pretty cold. Wonder if I could wear them while playing viola, too...

12:34 PM  
Blogger crista said...

thanks! I play the cello and I've used these particular wristwarmers while practicing. it went pretty well, except my wrist started itching from doing vibrato. so if you do make some, just make sure you use better yarn than I did :)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home